Tyler Fire Department announces annual entrance examination
TYLER, July 20, 2017 -- The Tyler Fire Department announces this year’s entrance examination for those interested in a career as a firefighter with the City of Tyler. The test will be administered on Thursday, August 24, 2017, 10:00 a.m., at Harvey Hall, 2000 W. Front St. Applications are currently being accepted, with the deadline for qualified candidates set at Tuesday, August 15, 2017, at 5:00pm. Applications may be obtained from the City of Tyler, Human Resources Department at 212 N. Bonner (903-531-1112).
Applicants must meet the following qualifications at the time of application:
- Be a United States citizen or meet an employment authorization requirement as mandated by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- Be 18 to 35 years of age, and must not have attained his/her 36th birthday on the date of the written exam.
- Be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D.
- Must possess current Basic Structural Firefighter Certification through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection or be eligible to apply and hold certification in the State of Texas through transferring certification by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC). Applicants shall submit evidence before the test that they are certified at the level equivalent to NFPA 1001 – Fire Fighter I and Fire Fighter II. The applicant shall be responsible for any transfer/certification fees as required by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
- At a minimum, must possess current Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (EMT – Basic) Certification from the Texas Department of State Health Services or National Registry or equivalent medical training (EMT or Paramedic). The applicant shall submit before the entrance examination, the certificate of completion or the actual National Registry certification card. Current military service members, military veterans, and military spouses who have a current National Registry certification are eligible to sit for the entrance exam. The applicant shall be responsible for any transfer/certification fee as required by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Be in good health and able to pass a medical examination.
- Be in good physical condition and be able to perform all the essential functions of the position.
- Possess a valid driver’s license on date of appointment.
- Be able to intelligently read, write, and fluently speak the English language.
Additional information and requirements can be found on the Fire Department’s web page at www.tylerfiredept.com or at the City of Tyler Human Resources web page.
Interested individuals who meet the requirements are encouraged to apply. A complete application packet must be received by the City of Tyler, Human Resources Department, 212 N. Bonner, P.O. Box 2039, Tyler, Texas 75710, by August 15, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. Applications received by mail must be postmarked by the application deadline to be accepted. Faxed or incomplete application packets will not be accepted.