AISD PTO School Board Candidate Forum scheduled for April 25
ATHENS, April 23, 2013--Athens ISD Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) has organized a School Board Candidate Forum which will be held on Thursday, April 25, 2013, at the Athens Hight School Annex Auditorium. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., so final questions may be submitted. The Forum will begin at 7::00 p.m.
According to PTO President Teri Kirksey, they have received confirmations from all eight candidates. Kirksey says, “We have hopefully created a venue where all eight candidates have an opportunity to express themselves openly so that our community members can make an informed voter decision.”
The Forum is open to the public, and everyone is encouraged to attend. Questions may be submitted, prior to the meeting, by emailing them to aisdpto#gmail.com, placing in drop-boxes located at all campuses, or dropping off at the District Support Center.
Early voting begins on Monday, April 29, and runs through May 7. Election Day is Saturday, May 11. All voting will take place at the District Support Center, 104 Hawn Street.
Participating candidates include:
Place 5: Raymond Williams (I); Blu Nicholson; Vance Vaughn
Place 6: David Freeman (I); Niki Killingsworth; MaryAnn Tyner
Place 7: Bob Spears (I); Jacqueline Solomon
- Candidates will be arranged according to seat being sought. Order of presentation within each group of candidates will be chosen at random and will be reversed for closing comments.
- Opening statements of 2 minutes will allow candidates to introduce themselves.
- Topics will be a wide range of issues of general interest to the public.
- Written questions on issues will be submitted by AISD community residents and screened for duplication and clarity only. The moderator will read the questions. No interaction among candidates, audience members or other program participants is allowed. Answers to these questions on issues will be limited to 1 minute and each candidate will be given the chance to answer.
- Each candidate will be given 2 minutes for closing statements to wrap-up and cover any issues not yet discussed.
- No substitutes or stand-ins for candidates are allowed, and no pre-recorded statements will be accepted.
- No candidates, board members and event organizers will be allowed into the venue wearing campaign buttons for their candidacy or any candidate at the event.
- The forum is not a debate. No interaction or debate among candidates will be allowed.
- No direct interaction of any kind will be allowed from the audience. The audience cannot ask questions. Only the moderator will be allowed to interact with candidates.
- All interaction by a candidate will be through the event moderator.
- There will be no “winner” declared by the moderator or event sponsors.
- No ‘grandstanding’, speaking off topic or off-color remarks will be permitted and will be called out of order by the moderator.
- No candidate or candidate supporters will be allowed to hand out materials, advertise, or otherwise solicit inside or outside the day of the event in any capacity.