City of Palestine announces Martin ...
The City of Palestine has announced ...
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 01:33:00 +0000
(JERUSALEM) -- Israel agreed Wednesday to halt its attack on Hamas targets in Gaza for five hours on Thursday to allow residents of Gaza to get food and other humanitarian aid.
Israel agreed to suspend its attacks after the United Nations appealed for a break in the violence for humanitarian reasons.
Hamas will also participate in the cease-fire, ABC News confirmed Wednesday.
Israel said it would stop its aerial and naval bombardment of Gaza sites starting at 10 a.m. local time Thursday (3 a.m. ET) and that its suspension would last until 3 p.m. (8 a.m. ET)
"This humanitarian window is meant to allow the civilian population of the Gaza Strip to engage in resupply for their humanitarian needs," a statement from the Israel Defense Forces stated.
"Should the humanitarian window be exploited by Hamas or other terror organizations for the purpose of launching attacks against Israeli civilian or military targets the IDF will respond firmly and decisively," the statement said.
Israel also warned that residents of the towns Beit Lahyia, Shuja'iya and Zeitoun -- who had been warned by Israel to evacuate their homes for their own safety -- should not return after 3 p.m.
Israel's announcement came after an appeal from Robert Serry, United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process.
The willingness of Israel to halt its attack came after four Palestinian boys playing on a Gaza beach were killed by Israeli fire. Israel, which has contended that Hamas hides its rocket launchers and arsenals in populated areas, said it would look into the circumstances of the boys' deaths.
In the hours before Sperry's calls for a temporary suspension of attacks, there was no indication that Israel or Hamas, the militant group that controls Gaza, was willing to agree to a cease-fire that had been proposed by Egypt earlier this week. Israel had halted its attacks for several hours earlier this week, but resumed its military campaign after Hamas fired dozens of rockets at Israel.
An additional 8,000 Israeli military reservists were called up Wednesday, Israel announced. They will join the 40,000 reservists that have already been called up, with many of them poised along with tanks on Israel's border with Gaza.
And a senior Hamas official announced that the Islamic militant group has formally closed the door on the Egyptian proposal for a cease-fire aimed at ending the conflict with Israel.
International officials, including Secretary of State John Kerry, seemed hopeful that the peace deal could still work even after Hamas ignored the cease-fire proposal Tuesday and continued to fire rockets at Israel. Israel responded after a six-hour break with a fresh barrage of aerial and naval attacks at what they called terrorist sites.
The death toll in the nine-day slugfest reached 214, all but one of them Palestinians and many of them civilians and children, according to Gaza health officials. At least 1,550 people have been injured in Gaza since fighting broke out last week, the health officials said.
Tens of thousands of Gazans have fled their homes after Israeli leaflets and robo calls to their homes urged them to evacuate their homes.
“The evacuation is for your own safety,” the leaflets read. “You should not return to the premises until further notice. Whoever disregards these instructions and fails to evacuate immediately, endangers their own lives, as well as those of their families.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Tuesday that Hamas, the militant group that controls Gaza, would pay a price for rejecting the cease-fire and launching more rockets at Israel.
"Our answer is fire," he said.
The battle has broken a two-year lull in hostilities between Israel and Hamas and was triggered by the slaying of three Israeli teens and revenge burning death of a Palestinian teen. Angry protests escalated to rocket launches and retaliatory air strikes.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
© 2018 Tomlinson-Leis Communications L.P.